City and Mining Museum

Originally built in 1485 as a residence for the cathedral clergy, the building is without a doubt one of the most beautiful late-gothic period buildings in the entire mining city and always worth a visit. The Freiberg City and Mining Museum, founded in 1861 by the Freiberg Historical Society, is one of the oldest publicly-erected museums in Saxony.

A wide range of presentations lead the visitor into the world of local mining and illustrate the important highlights ofFreiberg´s history. The fun continues with the exciting history of Freiberg in the middle ages. There is a presentation dedicated to the second urban mining boom of the early modern period. There is also a designated area makes for the era of industrialisation and cultural change.

(c) Kanal 9 Erzgebirge, recorded in summer 2020.

Online guided tour "From the pittance to the pension formula" ("Vom Gnadengroschen zur Rentenformel")

The special exhibition, which was opened in 2020, can still be viewed online here after it closes in April 2021.

The show focuses on 250 years of economic and social history of Freiberg ore mining and the city in the industrial age. The absolute highlight is the unique collection box of the Freiberg miners' guild from 1546, symbolising the history of the miners' guild - the oldest social insurance in the world.

Hammer, tankards and sculptures

The Freiberger Mining exhibition introduces visitors to the history of Freiberg´s fundamental trade as it spanned many centuries - the ultimate basis for the wealth and reputation of the Saxonian “mining capital”. Significant pieces like hammers and chisels, hasps and ore carriages give the visitor deeper insight into the lives and exploits of the miners.

An impressive collection of late gothic altars and sculptures complete the exhibition. The museum also offers special exhibitions, tours, activities for school classes, audio guides, concerts and a wide range of souvenirs.

© René Jungnickel
Photo: René Jungnickel
Photo: Ralf Menzel
Photo: Ralf Menzel


Stadt- und Bergbaumuseum

Am Dom 1
09599 Freiberg

Tel.: +49 (0) 3731 20 25 12
Fax: +49 (0) 3731 23197

Opening times

The museum is currently closed.

regular: Tuesdays to Sundays and public holidays
10am to 5pm

December25th and 26th and January 1st
1pm to 5pm

December 24th and 31st


Adults 5,00 € p. P.
Concessions 2,50 € p. P.

free entrance: children until the age of 16 and students with student identification card