The Untermarkt is something like the little brother of the upper market (Obermarkt) and worth seeing as well. The name comes its height above sea level: about 391 metres – 10 metres below the upper market (Obermarkt). It marks the transition between the two districts Sächsstadt and Burglehen. The most prominent building at the Untermarkt is late Gothic St. Mary´s Cathedral with its choir and gable.
The city´s museum corner
On the corner next to the cathedral you can find the former "Domherrenhof" (canon´s court), Since 1903, one of the oldest museums in Saxony - the City and Mining Museum has been housed in this likewise late Gothic building. This building was also erected after the great town fire of 1484. The present form with stepped gable and stair tower was created in 1902. When, after the Reformation and secularisation, no canon and thus no canon's court was needed any more, the building served first as a Latin school and later as a grammar school. Ulrich Rülein von Calw, a doctor, mining scientist, mathematician and astrologer, was also active here.